Friday, November 04, 2005

Last days in Kuwait

As we prepared for our crossing into Iraq things were starting to happen fast. As senior medic I was responsible for getting the malaria pills for the BN before we could move out. The only problem was that when we were at MOB we were told it would be waiting for us in Kuwait. Of course, when we get there the pills like many other things were not where they were supposed to be so off I went to make drug deals. I have an industrious medic that made friends with someone at the MEDLOG BN and found out that there were several thousand doses that were "off the books" and could be had. Well, having spent some time working in MEDLOG I had a working knowledge of the system so off I went with a delegation of authority for the BC to get my pills. After several hours of political wrangling and refusing to leave without the goods, I found myself driving back to the camps with a completed request in hand an a promise that I could keep calling back and should have my stuff in a day or two.

As if that wasn't bad enough, one the way back in the dark a nice sandstorm blows up and really shits on us. We are in two HUMVV's, one ambulance and a softside, neither with the doors so the sand is like 200 grit tearing away layers per second. Following a few worng turns and safety stops we finally made it back to the camp just before out PA was ready to send out a recovery mission for us. All is well that ends well right? Not so fast.

Once out of a debrief on the days events, I find out that the Medical Section Sargeant has been relieved from his duties and reassigned for various infractions and I was now to take his job as well as mine. Oh joy! Now I have to take care of the BN as well as a section of medics, aid station and anything else that can be blamed on the medics. Well, this is what I asked for. No one said that it would be easy so let's pop smoke, stay low, move out and draw fire! Hooah!

Oh yeah, we did get the pillls. The night before the crossing! So much for a week of preloading. Oh yeah, it was malaria season in the fertile cresent.

ATW

1 Comments:

Blogger LL said...

Logistics in a war zone is an interesting thing. I've read stories of no weapons but tons of t.p. Stupid stuff like that. Glad you took charge and got done what needed to be done. I wouldn't have expected anything less of you, Land Warrior.

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home